Monday, March 02, 2015

Zermatt, Switzerland



Sorry for the lack of updates as there was a change in my life for the past few months and I could barely spend any time doing something that I like besides sleeping and resting.

Let's continue with my Europe trip travelogue though it's a throwback but I strongly believe that good things shall be shared.

Zermatt, the home of the Matterhorn is a carless city that offers fresh crisp air and jaw-dropping views. Well, if you have followed my blog for quite some time, then you would have already read about the Matterhorn but if you are a newbie here, you may click HERE for the Matterhorn post.


DSC02674b
To enter this carless city, we took a train from Tasch station.


DSC02679b


DSC02696b


DSC02732b
After 25 minutes, we arrived at Zermatt.


DSC02749b
I was impressed with the design of the quaint wooden houses when I stepped out from the station. The flowers at the balcony were so lovely and welcoming. Almost all the hotels, restaurants or shops were having the same design, but just came in different colors.


DSC02741b
This was the hotel that we stayed. Ambassador Hotel, very strategically located as it's just 100 meters from the train station. We got the chance to stay in this expensive hotel (though it was just a 3 star hotel, but it costed RM1300 a night!) because of some last minute changes in itinerary made by APPLE and as a compensation, they upgraded us to spend one night in Zermatt.


DSC02747b
After unloading all the luggage, we headed to the main street, Bahnohostrasse to begin our journey to explore this enchanting village.


DSC02760b
The main street was full with shops offering souvenirs, swiss chocolates, watches and sports equipments.

DSC02969b
We were given a voucher to redeem a free souvenir from Bucherer, the most famous shop selling Rolex watches. After this, the tour guide did not bother to tour us around as he only focused to serve those who wanted to buy Rolex watches. So we explored this little town by our own for 45 minutes before our lunch.


DSC02808b
Behind me was an electric car


DSC02800b
Cowbell souvenirs


DSC02781b
St. Bernard dogs, which you will find them at the summit of Gornergrat. Photographers will be there to take and sell photos to you.


DSC02806b


DSC02828b


DSC02829b


DSC02838b
As you walked up the slope, you would see Saint Mauritius Church on your left. This was a landmark which you would not miss as it came with the picturesque clock tower and stunning mountain backdrop.


DSC02844b


DSC02848b


DSC02858b


DSC02861b
And next to the Church was Matterhorn Museum, which was closed during our visit.


DSC02864b


DSC02870b
We took a left turn after the Museum, and saw some monuments, followed by a cemetery.


DSC02878b
We walked further down the road to find the best place to capture this Zermatt village with the mesmerising Matterhorn as backdrop. Lucky that I did enough preparation before visiting and of course many thanks to the bloggers who shared their photos and the details to reach this wonderful place. This is definitely a must-do when you are in Zermatt!


IMG_2697b


IMG_2687b


DSC02886b


P1060799b
After taking the photos, we walked back to the main street happily as one of the items in my "must-do" lists had been achieved!


P1060804b


P1060795b


DSC02912b


DSC02923b
Continued to explore the old barns, which were built more than 200 years ago.


DSC02853b


DSC02919b


DSC02939b


DSC02944b
Our cute and lovely driver

DSC02951b
Truly a sublime setting that made me wanna stay here for longer!

DSC02957b


DSC02962b


DSC03436b
Time to shop after we returned from Gornergrat! Watches are must-buy in Zermatt. I bought a cheap and nice one for myself as souvenir.

DSC03439b
We were told by the tour manager that the supermarket “Coop” offered the best deal for Swiss chocolates! And of course I bought kgs of chocolates here until my luggage was full and I had to put them in my hand-carry bag. Pulling a 22kg luggage plus carrying a 10kg bag using my hand made me breathless + exhausted + sweaty when we walked up the slope on the next morning to the train station as we were already super late and rushed like mad lady.

DSC03443b
Läderach Chocolatier Store! They offered the best range of hand-made chocolate and truffles.


DSC03444b
Don’t forget to have some tasty treats at this Gourmet Chocolatier. They allowed tasting of the chocolate before you purchased. These fresh chocolates bars were called Frischschoggi and they were the best! I loved dark chocolate hazelnut the most!


DSC03451b
I bought some of these tempting pieces but neither the praline nor the truffle particularly impressed me.


DSC03472b
Back to hotel for our dinner

DSC03462b
As usual, soup for starter

DSC03465b
This main course looked so non-tempting. The quality was just mediocre.

DSC03469b
This lovely cake definitely won my heart away. So much better than the main course!

DSC03478b
After dinner, we hung out again though all the shops had closed.


DSC03512b


DSC03490b
But honestly there was nothing much to see at night as the snow mountain hid themselves in the dark.



I would say the stay in Zermatt and the visit to Gornergrat was the most relaxing one amongst all other places that we visited during the trip as we had ample time for shopping and exploring the place by our own and the stunning and dramatic scenery of Matterhorn at Gornergrat really took our breath away.


10 comments:

  1. 赏心悦目的照片与分享 *喜欢你的穿搭
    我喜欢这里,真的很喜欢。可惜我错过了,活或许错过是为了下次再见吧~ (自我安慰)

    ReplyDelete
  2. change of life? second baby? *wink*
    love your smile and outfit as always - welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have same thought with Mia XD
    Zermatt 真的很漂亮很漂亮!!!!
    上次我去瑞士的时候没有去到这里

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scenery is breathtaking, TV ever got shoot this place, it is my dream destionation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place reminds me of Canada which I visited in year 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 好羡慕啊,我老婆看了一定会叫我带她去。
    看来要努力存钱了。谢谢你的分享。

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much. Your posting is very great.
    Website development company in uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic post! I loved these photos and your trip sounds amazing. Thanks for the photos. We will also visit a popular event space in Chicago to cerebrate my 18th birthday. I am very excited for it as I am turning 18.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enthusiastic words written in this blog helped me to enhance my skills as well as helped me to know how I can help myself on my own. I am really glad to come at this platform. basel airport ski transfers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails